FROM THE PRESIDENT
I want to take this opportunity to invite all of you to Wilmington on March 27, 2009 for the AAUW NC Convention. The Wilmington Branch will be our hosts and I can guarantee you an informative and fun time. Watch for the next issue of the Tar Heel News for all the details. For those of you who have never been to a state convention before I hope you will join us.
I am looking for a volunteer to be a voting delegate at the state convention. If you are going to be present in Wilmington on March 27 and are willing to be a delegate please notify me. Our entire membership will need to have time to vote on this delegate selection. Watch for a ballot to select a delegate.
With Congress and the NC Legislature now in session many issues important to all of us will be on their agendas. Please stay in touch with your legislators in both Raleigh and Washington and let them hear from you. This also keeps you up to date with AAUW priority issues. If you need information about what is going on please refer to the following website:
AAUW NC NEWS (www.aauwnc.org)
- AAUW News (01/28/09) — Lots has been happening over the last few weeks. This includes an extensive section of links on Pay Equity. You can subscribe to get this e-newsletter directly. Contact Nancy Shoemaker.
- Ledbetter bill passes Congress (01/28/09) — How the North Carolina delegation has voted on the two important bills, links to videos of the signing ceremony, and other Pay Equity news.
- Is this you? (01/15/09) — AAUW NC needs someone to step up to the position of treasurer starting July 1, 2009. This article describes what’s involved in the job.
- Burlington gathering on Feb. 17 – members near Alamance County should have heard about this, but just in case you’re “in the neighborhood”
- How do we communicate – part 3 – thoughts on using social networks like LinkedIn and Facebook to connect with other branch members
- How do we communicate – part 2 – information on this new e-mail list
- Celebrate International Women’s Day (March 5) & A POWERFUL NOISE Live! – Information from AAUW on a movie that will be shown in Raleigh, Concord, and Charlotte
- Introduce a friend to AAUW – links to the branch brochure and the “join now” page
This newsletter was distributed through the branch e-mail list, and an archived copy can be found there, too. The e-mail edition is more complete since it contains some member phone numbers and direct e-mail addresses.