What are these events? Like other “hackathons” they concentrate on bringing teams together for an intensive weekend event with team building and problem solving. These, though, are different in that they are restricted to women students — making them more welcoming and engaging and eliminating the implicit bias that can make it difficult for women to claim their place a the technical table.
Solving the Equation
We are very excited that this event is happening just as AAUW releases its most recent report, Solving the Equation: The Variables for Women’s Success in Engineering and Computing that focuses specifically on the STEM fields with the fewest women and most jobs. Learn more:
- Watch the recording of the March 26 launch event including a short video of the key findings and a wide-ranging panel discussion. [Fast forward through the first 60 minutes or to when the “welcome” screen ends. The meat of the video is 90 minutes.]
- Download the report, fact sheets and more: www.aauw.org/research/solving-the-equation/
- Check out comments from participants on twitter at the hashtag #addwomen — and join the conversation.
More about AAUW
We provided a grant to the project and an envelope of AAUW-related information for each participant. If you want to share the information with others who didn’t attend the event, here are the key links
- Graduating to a Pay Gap (2012) – the AAUW report showing pay inequities for new graduates
- The Simple Truth About the Gender Pay Gap (2015) – talking points and basic statistics about the Pay Gap.
- Why So Few (2010) – a summary of barriers to women entering and remaining in STEM fields.
AAUW specific information included
- A handout answering questions about AAUW on Campus
- A handout on AAUW College/University partners in NC
- More about AAUW on campus
- Connect with AAUW as a student affiliate
Give us a holler if you’d like more info on any of our programs or want to find out how AAUW can help support your next project.
- http://www.aauwnc.org | 888-525-2155 | email@example.com
- aauwnc on Facebook and Twitter
- Community Based Branches
Tar Heel Branch (statewide virtual branch serving all of NC)