An initial branch board was approved by the charter members. Here’s the information that accompanied the ballot along with notes about which at-large directors have agreed to concentrate on specific functions. Several of the board members are pictured in this post.
Slate of initial board members
- Doris Bernlohr, President
- Doris is a former member of the Chapel Hill branch and is now living in Burlington. She is a member-at-large and will be a primary member of this new branch (and expects to be a dual member in Chapel Hill). She served as president of AAUW Chapel Hill and was a member of the AAUW NC board.
- Nancy Shoemaker, Treasurer
- Nancy is a member of the Raleigh/Wake County branch and will be a dual member of the new branch. She is serving her second term as treasurer in Raleigh and is a past president of AAUW NC.
- Pat Abell, Director-at-Large (Educational Foundation)
- Pat is a life member of the Association and is a member of the Statesville branch. She’ll be a dual member of this branch. She is a past president of AAUW Statesville, and a former member of the AAUW NC board and the AAUW NC executive committee.
- Judy Atkinson, Director-at-Large (Program)
- Judy is a member of the Winston-Salem branch and will be a dual member of this branch. She is a past president of AAUW Winston-Salem, and a former member of the AAUW NC board and the AAUW NC executive committee.
- Birgit Pauli-Haack, Director-at-Large (Communications)
- Birgit is a member of the Naples (FL) branch where she currently serves as web manager, and is a member of the Association’s Technology Usability Advisory Group. She’ll be a dual member of this branch.
- Mary Fran Schickedantz, Director-at-Large (Membership)
- Mary Fran is a member of the Greensboro branch and will be a dual member of the new branch. She is a past president of AAUW NC and is currently serving as AAUW NC treasurer.
- Queen Thompson, Director-at-Large
- Queen Thompson is a member of the Charlotte branch and will be a dual member of this new branch. She serves on the AAUW NC board as diversity chair.
Note: An AAUW member may join more than one branch. A member’s “primary” branch is the one where they pay dues to AAUW. They are called a “dual” member in their second and subsequent branches where they pay branch and (if applicable) state dues. For 2008-2009, this branch’s dues are $0 and any members of other branches joining the branch are dual members. If they pay 2009-2010 AAUW dues through this branch they will become “primary” members. By national policy, only primary members may hold the office of branch president.